1) This year, players on the winning Super Bowl team will each get $150k bonuses, while players on the losing team will get $75k bonuses. That’s on top of $150k in playoff bonuses earned by both teams.
2) Speaking of the Super Bowl, furniture mogul “Mattress Mack” placed the single largest (legal) sports bet ever: $5m on the Bengals winning. This was written before the Super Bowl ended, but if Cincinnati won, he’ll get $16.2m.
3) A study of US street names found that homes on streets named after Confederate leaders sell for 3% less on average than homes nearby. The study focused on ~6k sales across 1.4k+ streets from 2001 to 2020.
4) Wasabi production is down 55% in the last decade — a result of climate and demographic change in Japan’s Shizuoka Prefecture. For those unaware, much of the “wasabi” Americans eat at sushi restaurants is just green-dyed horseradish.
5) The average price of a used car hit $28.5k in January, up 31% YoY. As a result, the number of 16- to 25-year-olds purchasing used cars sank 35% between 2019 and 2021.
Get the 5-minute roundup you’ll actually read in your inbox
Business and tech news in 5 minutes or less