Let's keep this going

Sign up today to receive our daily news briefs featuring a handful of the most important stories in business, tech, and life. Delivered weekdays and Sunday.

EMAILED ON March 23, 2020 BY Nick DeSantis

A worker shortage puts a small cleaning business in a crunch

Photo credit: Daniel van Appen on Unsplash

We asked readers to tell us about how their businesses are coping with the coronavirus. We’re featuring highlights of those conversations here.

The coronavirus pandemic has created a stream of new demand for cleaning companies — especially those that disinfect properties.

But Edward Rodriguez’s company, Hip Maids, is struggling to meet the demand. School closures have forced parents who can’t work from home to choose between caring for their kids and supporting their families financially.

That leaves Rodriguez facing a shortage of workers. He’s thinking about tapping into the SBA’s loan-assistance program to cover employee salaries, and trying to find a pipeline for new employees (college students are 1 possibility).

Hip Maids’ services are typically in high demand during the summer moving season, but the spread of the pandemic has made future revenue trends difficult to forecast. Across the company’s existing contracts, Rodriguez says 30% of the revenue is secure, but the remaining 70% could be gone in a worst-case scenario.

He’s ready for a range of outcomes. Ultimately, he says, “we have been through so many life-changing events before as a society and came out on top. This too shall pass.”

Trends subscribers get access to the whole story — and much more. Start your trial today.

Get news (like this) delivered by email every morning

Easy there partner...

TO read this story, Enter your email below

let's save the world together

Hold that scroll...

Want the real story behind Amazon?

Bezos wasn’t always King. Find out how a shocking stat started his empire.

You're already reading this so you might as well let me finish my point.

Look, you came to this site because you saw something cool.

But here’s the deal. This site, also known as The Hustle, is actually a daily email that covers the important news in business, tech, and culture.

So, if you like what you’re reading, give the email a try. You can always unsubscribe.

Fresh business and tech news served daily.