“Natural” food colours for the win (Source: Lisa Wiltse / Getty Images)
1) Wholesale jumbo lump crab meat is selling for $60 (compared to $18-$22 normally). The reason: The Chesapeake Bay blue crab population dropped from ~405m to ~282m in 2021.
2) There are a lot of billings happening in Billings. The Montana city saw the average price of a single-family home jump 32% to $376,248 in June, compared to last year.
3) Plant-based meat alternatives are on a roll. Veggie beef sales hit $371m+ in the last year (up from $291m) and veggie chicken sales reached $272m (up from $231m).
4) Pokémon Go has made $1.4B worldwide so far this year, $300m more than it banked in 2016, the year it launched — despite the fact its user base is down significantly.
5) The market for natural food colors is forecast to hit $3.2B in 2027. Blue-green spirulina algae, which is also halal, kosher, vegan-friendly and is used in yogurts, ice creams, and gummies, is rising in popularity.
6) Mark Zuckerberg’s security detail cost $23.4m last year. Just $1.7m was spent on security for Jeff Bezos, and $470k was spent protecting Apple’s Tim Cook.
Get the 5-minute roundup you’ll actually read in your inbox
Business and tech news in 5 minutes or less