We’re hiring for a bunch of roles right now at The Hustle and one of those roles that we need help filling is our Senior Growth Marketer hire.
So, if you refer someone we hire then I’ll give you $2,500.*
(*The candidate must work at our company for at least 1 year for you to be eligible for the $2,500.)
Not right for this role but know someone who is? Share this on Facebook. When we hire someone and ask them how they heard about us, they’ll say your name and you’ll get paid.
Senior Growth Marketer
Interested in impacting tens of millions of people’s lives each month?
Are you a highly creative, fast moving, and bold marketer who dreams of leading a world-class growth team?
If this sounds like you, we’ve got the perfect job.
About the role
We call this role a “Senior Growth Marketer,” but some startups may call it a “growth hacker.” We would never call it that though, because a) our company culture is such that we hate silly Silicon Valley cliches and b) great brands rarely become huge from “hacks,” but from repeatable, scalable, creative, and thoughtful processes.
At the core, this job exists to help make sure everyone in America knows about The Hustle.
More specifically, this role is looking at what we’ve used to grow so far and then investing heavily in the levers that worked best while discovering new channels.
Your objective is to help us reach our first million daily users (we’re close to halfway there) and then scale significantly past 1 million.
But, beyond that, The Hustle is completely changing how digital media brands make money and thrive. And you, as one of our early Senior hires, will put your touch on that.
Here’s how it works:
The Hustle is a media company that uses our zero bullshit voice to give millions of young people around the world the news and information they need to succeed.
The first way we’re doing that is by sending our daily business news email each morning to an incredibly large and loyal audience. And, at just over a year old, we’re one of the fastest growing media brands in the country.
While we currently monetize our audience through large advertising deals with brands like Microsoft and Sam’s Club, soon we’ll launch other products and services for our young professional audience.
It’s our belief that the future the CNN’s, Fox’s, and other media brands of the world (something we want to become) cannot rely 100% on advertising to build their empires. Instead, they’ll use media and news to grow the brand and have profit centers through other products and services.
What you’ll be doing:
- Joining our existing growth team.
- Growing our subscriber base to 1 million, and then beyond that.
- Running paid campaigns on Facebook, Instagram, and other direct marketing channels.
- Coming up with creative tools to help our users share more.
- Using our current content to get more traffic from search and social.
- Increasing the conversion on our website blog.
- Setting and executing extremely ambitious growth targets.
- And eventually, leading a team to help grow the brand.
Why should you work for us?
We are The Hustle, and we’ve created daily news that’s read by millions of young professionals each month.
This interview with one of our users at our recent Hustle Con conference describes what we do well.
This article in Nieman Labs describes a little more about us.
We are not only creating news that speaks to millions of young people in our no-bullshit voice (something so rare these days) but also changing how media companies monetize.
Why our mission matters
We launched The Hustle because the existing news outlets spoke to us like we were idiots. Lots of clickbait, articles that had a lot of words but little substance, and news we didn’t care about.
So, The Hustle was created to give our audience convenient but intelligent news and information in an engaging voice.
We knew how our group of friends talked about current events and wanted to mimic that. In doing so, we’ve become arguably the only lifestyle brand around news and young people in the world. Our community is rambunctious, fanatical, and highly engaged.
However, as we’ve grown, we’ve realized that most digital media outlets are horrible at monetizing. We’re on a mission to fix that.
The nitty gritty
Location: In our San Francisco office. Located in SOMA.
Type of Employment: Full-time only
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this job. Most importantly, we are hiring based on careful balance of relevant experience, cultural fit, and motivation:
- You’ve profitably invested $1,000,000 into paid marketing: Paid marketing, specifically on Facebook, is one of our biggest growth channels. You must know how to quickly create, execute on, and optimize Facebook advertising campaigns and understand how the money spent is directly impacting our growth.
- Skilled in SQL: Being able to quickly write queries and get the data your team needs from our database is essential to making decisions.
- Basic HTML and CSS ability: While we do use drag and drop interfaces for optimizing landing pages, being able to make basic CSS and HTML edits is a big plus.
- Ability to be creative fast: Not only will you need to have first principle thinking, but you’ll also need to be creative. Coming up with innovative ideas on how to grow is essential. And, because moving quickly is one of our most important values, you’ll need to do all this while moving breakneck speeds.
- You’ve managed a team before: The Hustle is preparing for hypergrowth. That means not only are we looking to fill our immediate growth needs, but we’re also hiring the company’s next leaders. This role is not entry level, and in the near future you will hire and lead an even larger team.
- You are self-motivated and get shit gone: We don’t want people who have to be constantly managed. If you only work well with someone telling you what to do–DO NOT APPLY. You must be very self-motivated. There are no lifestyle roles here and no easy days. We all work very hard every day because we care about our mission, and what we do matters to us and other people. NOTE: Hard work does not mean endless hours. It only means results. If you don’t want to work hard and get results, this is not the right company for you. There is no coasting and no hiding here and you will be held accountable for achieving real results. If that doesn’t excite you, this is the wrong role for you.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive pay and equity
- Full medical health insurance
- Unlimited Amazon books
- Weekly team lunches
- Free access to our events and speakers
- Ability to make a real impact in our product, culture, and future of the company.
A note from The Hustle: Every morning at 9am Pacific, we send an email with the top news stories in business and tech. It's kind of like if your friend read the internet all day then told you the important stuff in a fun, easy to understand way. Join the club and impress your coworkers with how smart you are.