When I tell someone I’m an event planner, I’m met with one of two reactions:
- I could never do that
- That’s my dream job
If you or someone you know would answer that question with “this is my dream job”, keep reading.
See, we’re 2 years into building this beautiful media company known as The Hustle. And, along with putting out our daily newsletter that many of you know and love, we also host massive events throughout the year.
Thankfully, business is booming, and we’re now expanding our events team to help us host 12+ events over the next 12 months.
Here’s who we’re looking for:
Interested in creating events with hundreds (or thousands) of people? Do you start drooling at the sight of a big open venue? Are you passionate about building a loyal and engaged community?
Do your friends constantly look to you to make their plans? Are you highly organized, super efficient, approachable, and bossy-in-a-nice-way?
Then you might be perfect for the Event Coordinator role at The Hustle.
ABOUT THE ROLE
At its core, this job is about creating remarkable and inspiring events designed to grow and engage with The Hustle’s community.
More specifically, this role is refining the logistical processes necessary to produce awesome events with world class speakers. It’s also about creating an outstanding attendee experience that turns audience members into active members of our community.
Your objective is to help produce extraordinary, scalable events that are profitable, allowing us to invest more heavily into our team.
You’ll be able to put your touch on each and every event that we produce, and we’ll provide you with the resources and guidance needed to succeed.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS
The Hustle is a media company that uses our zero bullshit voice to give millions of young people around the world the news and information they need to succeed.
The first way we’re doing that is by sending our daily business-news email each morning to an incredibly large and loyal audience. And, now we’re one of the fastest growing media brands in the country.
While we currently monetize our audience through large advertising deals with brands like Microsoft and Red Bull, our events offer another opportunity to work with brands who want to reach our highly valuable audience.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Wearing multiple hats on a small but powerful team in The HuStle. This includes:
- Assisting in finding and booking venues
- Creating and maintaining event web pages
- Coordinating event staff and vendors
- Assisting with volunteer management
- Assist in managing speaker schedules and presentations
- Creating the schedule for various events
- Assisting with speaker topics and presentations
- Fielding requests from attendees
- Assisting with event sponsors and their execution
- Obtain and complete all permits and paperwork needed for events
- Assist and, at times, lead the day-of logistics for events
- Building and maintaining partnerships that help us to streamline our grassroots marketing
- Assisting with content marketing efforts
- Getting the community excited about upcoming events
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK FOR US
We have 7 events on the calendar from now through the end of the year, each with a minimum of 150 attendees.
We will produce upwards of 20 events in 2018, so the opportunity to contribute to a fast-growing team and to build a robust skillset is essentially unlimited
This interview with one of our users at our flagship event, Hustle Con, demonstrates the enthusiasm people have for The Hustle brand.
This article in Nieman Labs describes a little more about us. We are not only creating news that speaks to millions of young people in our no-bullshit voice (something so rare these days) but also changing how media companies monetize.
WHY OUR MISSION MATTERS
We launched The Hustle because the existing news outlets spoke to us like we were idiots. Lots of clickbait, articles that had a lot of words but little substance, and news we didn’t care about.
So, The Hustle was created to give our audience convenient but intelligent news and information in an engaging voice.
We knew how our group of friends talked about current events and wanted to mimic that. In doing so, we’ve become arguably the only lifestyle brand around news and young people in the world. Our community is rambunctious, fanatical, and highly engaged.
However, as we’ve grown, we’ve realized that most digital media outlets are horrible at monetizing. We’re on a mission to fix that.
That’s where the events team comes in. We create inspiring, educational, entertaining, events that allow us to remain profitable and contribute to the overarching success of The Hustle.
THE NITTY GRITTY
Location: In our San Francisco office. Located in SOMA. Remote will not be considered.
Type of Employment: Full-time only
NECESSARY SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this job. Most importantly, we are hiring based on a careful balance of relevant experience, cultural fit, and motivation:
- 1-2 years of experience in an event coordination role
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven track record of orchestrating high-energy events seamlessly
- You’re an intrinsically motivated self-starter
- Incredibly organized and with a maniacal attention to detail
- Innate ability to manage many moving parts simultaneously
- An adaptive, resourceful, scrappy mindset
- A natural leader with the capacity to observe a situation and make decisions quickly (and know when to ask for help)
- Strong understanding of social situations, and skilled at making people feel both comfortable and inspired
- Passion for events
- Strong knowledge of business and tech is beneficial but not essential
- Strong understanding of MailChimp, Excel, and Photoshop are desired, but not essential
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Competitive pay and equity
- Full medical health insurance
- Unlimited Amazon books
- Weekly team lunches
- Free access to our events and speakers
- Ability to make a real impact in the product, culture, and future of the company.
Interested in this role? Click here to apply.
A note from The Hustle: Every morning at 9am Pacific, we send an email with the top news stories in business and tech. It's kind of like if your friend read the internet all day then told you the important stuff in a fun, easy to understand way. Join the club and impress your coworkers with how smart you are.