Happy birthday to us… The Hustle turns one today.
John and I started The Hustle last year in a small bedroom in a quiet neighborhood in San Francisco. Our goal? Build America’s next great media brand starting with quality business news.
Well, in the last year we’ve grown to:
- Over 300,000 subscribers (while maintaining an unheard of open rate)
- An extremely healthy advertising business (who would have thought you could build a big business off an email newsletter?)
- 11 full-time employees who’ve completely inspired John and I, and are responsible for making this company successful.
- A world-class team of investors and partners, including many of you from one of the fastest crowdequity campaigns ever ($300k in ~50 hours!)
- A massively fun and successful Hustle Con (happening on June 23rd!) as well as many other great events
I know that comes off braggy, but my point here isn’t to show how cool we are, but to show how amazing you all are.
As a business, our biggest asset is our community. That means you. All of you. And without a doubt our biggest source of growth has been you telling your friends.
So, from the bottom of my heart I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you. Without you, we are nothing.
I know it’s difficult to sound sincere through an email, so today we’re doing something special. We’re sending a free laptop Hustle sticker to anyone who signs up using the link below within the next 24 hours (note: this has now ended).
It’s a small way for us to say thank you and to make The Hustle a little more real.
A year ago we couldn’t find a reliable and relatable source of news. That’s why we started The Hustle… to give our friends authentic, bullsh*t free information.
And, in the last year, we’ve all seen how distrustful young people are with the media. So, one final thanks for helping us prove that news can be trustworthy, profitable, and fun.
I’ll talk to you all again when we hit 1m subscribers at the end of the summer.
Happy birthday everyone.
– Sam, CEO of The Hustle
PS: Yes, technically our birthday was yesterday on April 19th. But 4/20 has a better ring to it, so we made today the day. Plus, it gives us another reason to celebrate the 20th of April.