1) Bill Gates will be upping his charitable contributions to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation by 50%, from ~$6B pre-covid to ~$9B annually by 2026. “I will move down and eventually off of the list of the world’s richest people,” Gates wrote.
2) Worldwide, Prime Day shoppers ordered 100k+ items per minute during Amazon’s annual soirée last week. The most popular shopping time was from 9 am to 10 am PT on Tuesday, July 12.
3) TikTok is the search engine of choice for ~40% of youngsters, according to Google exec Prabhakar Raghavan. “When they’re looking for a place for lunch… they go to TikTok or Instagram,” he said.
4) In 2021, North American comic book sales hit $2.1B, up 62% from $1.28B in 2020. Impressively, sales made through comic stores were up 60% from 2020 and 34% from 2019.
5) Last year saw 82.4m PCs shipped in Q2 2021. But this year, with work-from-home demand subsiding, 72m PCs were shipped in Q2. Chromebooks, in particular, dipped 50%.
Get the 5-minute roundup you’ll actually read in your inbox
Business and tech news in 5 minutes or less